Viking / Fomtec / Minimax Foam
Viking Fluorine free foam sprinkler systems
Due to environmental concerns and regulatory changes our industry is reducing the use of PFAS based foam concentrates such as AFFF in fixed fire protection systems. One of the reasons relates to its ability to biodegrade and its persistence in the environment. Fluorine free foams offer a more environmentally responsible alternative. This change is proving challenging from a fire performance perspective. Users, AHJ’s and designers should be aware of the need to use products tested for their intended purpose. One such application is foam-sprinkler systems.
Fluorine free foam sprinkler system applications
Sprinkler applications are especially challenging for any foam due to the very low operating pressure and expansion. Applying foam through a sprinkler head is a very forceful application method and requires foam that can handle direct application and partial submersion into the fuel without losing its fire performance and burn-back resistance. Foams that shall be regarded as suitable for sprinkler applications shall also be able to withstand a limited time of water deluge directly onto the foam blanket without losing its burn-back properties. The European foam concentrate standard for use in low expansion applications is EN1568 Part 3 & Part 4. This standard does not take into account the real life discharge devices used in fixed systems. Experience tells us that foams, working with different discharge devices at different discharge parameters will give differing results. This was also confirmed in recent testing conducted by the NFPA Research Foundation (Evaluation of the fire protection effectiveness of fluorine free firefighting foams). Independent third party approvals bodies such as FM and UL have robust test standards (FM5130 and UL162) that test a specific foam with specific discharge devices in a manufacturer-defined range of operation. This means that a system designer or AHJ has a clear guide on what has been proven to work in the real world. Viking is pleased to introduce the first FM Approved fluorine free fixed foam system for Hydrocarbon and Polar Solvent applications. This system approval is initially focused at non-aspirated sprinkler discharge devices for use in closed or open head installations such as warehouses, chemical manufacturing areas, loading racks or aircraft hangars for example.
Fomtec Fluorine free
Minmax For special risks
Flexible components for our foam extinguishing systems
- Foam sprinklers and nozzles: Minimax specialises in stainless steel nozzles for low expansion foam extinguishing systems. As an exclusive manufacturer, Minimax supplies sprinklers for the production of low expansion foam. Sprinklers are generally used in storage areas. Nozzles are best suited for the protection of filling stations and filling tank vehicles or for protecting objects, as with hydraulic units or as indoor protection in drum stores.
- Foam maker/foam chamber/foam pourer: These three coordinated components comprise the specially designed “TankFoam RTK” kit for protecting flammable liquids in fixed roof tanks. It is used to generate low expansion foam, for which all common foaming agent concentrates can be used.
- Foam monitor: The foam monitor is for external use, to fight fires from a safe distance and to preventatively cool objects at risk of catching fire. Depending on the version the monitor can be aligned with the target manually, electrically or hydraulically by remote control.
- High expansion foam generator: Generators produce high expansion foam, which is used to protect storage areas. Foam floods the entire room and deprives the fire of oxygen by displacing air somewhat like a carbon dioxide extinguishing systems.
- DirectAlarm foam: These components make alarm testing easy. Weekly tests are carried out with water from the pump distributor before the proportioner. A foam/water mix does not have to be discharged and disposed of.
- Foaming agent concentrate: The foaming agent range includes a large number of protein and synthetic foaming agents. Foaming agents are available for all solid, liquid and alcohol/ solvent fires.